Tuesday, March 17, 2009

So what does he do??

I am sure you want to know so how is Cooper atypical (that is the nice term weird is not). Cooper has always had issues with food textures he will gag on anything that he deems unacceptable also he does not want to try new foods. I made pancakes one night for dinner without and egg or milk and I loaded those babies up with syrup to get him to just *try* them. Nope no go. I put syrup on the fork he lapped that up (the fact that I called it candy might have helped....) but when he saw me put it on the pancake nope. This is more than a typical child. Cooper will allow himself to go hungry to avoid trying a new food.

Once I decided to be fun Mom and bring the kids to McDonald's for lunch one day. Daddy was at work but we can do something fun right?? So I get a hamburger meal for Cooper well he would NOT eat it! For THREE DAYS I gave that kid nothing but that stinkin' hamburger and fries and never once did he even take a bite. That is more than a typical kid. One of the other kids would have broken by meal two!

Cooper is very stubborn, we have come to realize though that his stubbornness comes from a break in routine. If he has not done it before you can be assured that it is NOT going to go smoothly. He does not like loud noises at all. He will cover his eyes and then his ears to block out the visual stimuli and then the auditory stimuli.

Cooper will still tantrum like huge mega big time tantrum. I have brought him around the grocery store or Target just pitching a holy fit but oh well! Honestly, that does not embarrass me in the slightest. If it did I would never be able to leave my house! I never know what is going to set him off or why. I am hoping that this SPD diagnosis will give me some insight into that for his sake! I know that it cannot be very fun for him either!

When we are out he always has to hold onto the stroller for the baby or the shopping cart. If I make him let go for any reason like to walk through a door or to let someone pass he totally flips out. Also, if I push the cart in Target up the row and I realize "oh no, I just walked by the toothpaste" so I stop the cart and say "oh sorry guys! Mommy forgot the toothpaste I will get it and be right back. I am going right there (about 10' up the same row)." Cooper will totally freak out and scream "MOMMY DON'T LEAVE ME!!!" that gets me some good looks!

So that is the jist of it. There is more I am sure but we are so used to it it seems normal to us;)

2 comments:

  1. Okay, tantrums - check. I don't think people believe me when I say how bad they are. Braden's zipper broke on his backpack. He screamed so bad, bucked his head, and it took me 40 minutes to get him into the car. I sat in the parking lot holding him to try to keep him from cracking his head on the pavement. I held down his pelvis for about 15 minutes while he thrashed and wailed telling me to "fix it", and finally after an hour of my other kids sitting in the car, and tons of parent watching the whole thing, giving me looks like I should spank him....I got into the car crying, and we cried right alongside each other all of the way home. When we got home he was still upset and refused to let us open the pizza box to get pizza. I stood in front of his line of sight so the other kids could sneak a piece of pizza out of the box! It feels so good to hear your stories. I've so been there.And no I'm not embarrassed either, but I'm frustrated at the looks I get and the ignorance of those who just don't understand or recognize the disorder and assume I'm a crappy parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I laugh at mom's that say, "My kid will never have this, or will eventually get hungry enough!" Yep, Braden will and has rather starved. So here's your cereal bar at 10:00 PM when you wake up screaming for one. I just want to get some sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete