Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mini DAN! Update

The DAN! doctor called me about 30 minutes before I was going to leave on Friday to let me know that she needed to reschedule! She said "I am sitting here in my office in the dark, they are doing mega construction next door and they must have hit a power line or something." She offered to just mail me the kits for the tests and talk over the phone but I would rather talk in person. She did talk with me though for about 40 minutes just letting me know some of her thoughts. She said since we seem to be getting results with GF/CF/SF that we should stick with that for the time being. She is going to run a stool test and if it shows a carb imbalance then we can revisit the topic of SCD.

She also recommended some supplements: zinc, probiotics, enzymes and melatonin. Now let me just say melatonin seems like a gift from God! I mean that too I am not saying that flip at all! Cooper does not sleep he gets put to bed at about 7:00 and he does not go to sleep until, on average, 9:00! He is three!!! So the melatonin will help him go to sleep better. We give it to him about an hour before we want him to sleep and it will just help him drift off, kind of like a natural sleep aid. It will also be time released so if he wakes up in the middle of the night it will, well first stop that from happening, then help him go back to sleep. I have high hopes of this helping immensely! I know that when I am tired I am a lot more cranky and snippy and I am sure he is too so maybe if he is getting better sleep we will see some behavior improvement.

The probiotics and enzymes along with the diet change will help heal the gut. There is a school of thought that ASD and like minded disorders are actually often partially caused by a gut problem and if you can fix the gut issue you can help the symptoms. So far I have seen changes in my son so I am a believer! Plus as anyone who knows me well knows I am a bit of a crunchy girl so I am all for natural ways of healing.

Exciting things coming up here are that we are taking a "staycation!!" So exciting! We were going to go visit Kevin's family but they are going to be really busy so instead we are going to stay here and visit some places that we have not gone to near our home. We are also hoping to get together with some friends and just have a nice vaca at home:) We have also been really wanting to plan an organic garden so we may work on that. With six people in the house we go through veggies and fruit like crazy! We think it is a good learning experience for the kids but also a big money saver for us!

Oh and poor Cooper fell at school today. He was washing his hands and he slipped off the back of a stool and banged his chin on the counter. I thought his teacher was going to have a heart attack because I popped in when I heard him screaming. She looked horrified! Not a big deal I was just worried about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment