On Monday Cooper had his first OT apt. I was nervous about it because I had heard the place we were going was not the best. I had the plan though that we would go to this place until I could get Coop in somewhere better, something is better than nothing right?? Well I was pleasantly surprised! I had been told to expect that Cooper would just sit in a chair and work on things there and that is not what happened at all!!!
There were two "sensory gyms" that he was in as well as some work in the hallway. First they put him in a hammock on his tummy (the short way) and the OT held his hands and swung him back and forth. She told him to put his head up and he was NOT a fan of that! That is putting it mildly! Then she put some bean bags on the floor, he had to pick up a bean bag and put it in a bucket. He seemed to think that game was so so but he did cooperate. He also worked with some blocks that you spin to connect or take apart and he did well with those.
After that she brought him out into the hallway and he did crab walks up the hall. They were REALLY hard for him so he did not like that in the slightest. We are supposed to be working on those at home. She also put three tables in the hallway and put weights on one of them. He had to push the table to the other table and use tweezers to move some small pom poms from a cup to the other table then back into the cup, push to the other table do the same thing and so on. He did that about three times per table. Next she brought him to the other gym. I could not see what was going on in there (I had all the other kids with me and they would have distracted him so we hung out in the observation area of the one gym) but Cooper told me that he jumped into balls. He was so excited about that!!
After they came back to the gym we could see she drew some shapes on a piece of paper on the wall. Then she brought Coop to one side of the room and did wheelbarrow walks to the paper, he stood up and colored one of the shapes then they repeated the pattern two more times.
After OT he was sooooooo tired and he took a wonderful nap!!! He asked me later if he got to go back so I take that as a good sign!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meredith -
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you had a positive 1st experience with OT! Finding a great OT/clinic is such a blessing. I'm sure you'll start seeing progress with Cooper in no time! :)
Debbie
www.SensorySmartKid.com